On March 15th, AEC was recognized with an Ontario Builder Award for our work at Corbec’s new Steel Galvanizing Plant in Hamilton. This awards program, administered by the Ontario General Contractors Association, celebrates great achievements in the industry as well as construction excellence.
Corbec is an acclaimed hot-dip galvanizing company with facilities strategically located in Montreal, Princeville, Dartmouth, and Quebec City to support the treatment of steel products for use across Canada. To meet the growing demand for galvanizing services in central Canada, Corbec chose Hamilton’s Red Hill Business Park as the site of their fourth Canadian manufacturing facility on a 15-acre site. The new plant is the most advanced, custom hot dip galvanizing facility in Canada.
The facility was designed by the architecture and engineering team at WalterFedy, with equipment and process engineering by Ingenia, Heson, and Western Technologies Inc. AEC was retained as the Construction Manager to bring the concept to construction and oversee the implementation.
The building is comprised of concrete foundations, steel structure with Thermoplastic Polyolefin roofing, and insulated metal panels for envelope. The steel structure is critical to the function of not only the building, but the process within the building as well. The weight of steel in this building is over three times the weight of a similar size steel framed structure. This was necessary to support the automation of the hot-dip galvanizing process that shuttles large wire-hung racks of unprocessed steel from degreasing, pickling, and rinsing pits to a zinc bath and cooling and inspection stations. The material handling equipment within the building is suspended from the roof structure and requires a maximum deflection limit of 12 mm and a lifting capacity of 15 tons.
AEC had the privilege of working with an incredible team of local subcontractors and trades over the course of this project, including Telco Steel Works Ltd., Magil Construction, Process Group Inc., and Ecco Electric. Congratulations to the many hands who made this project a success, and to all of the other award recipients.
Click here to learn more about this award-winning project.
Full list of 2022 Ontario Builder Awards Winners:
- Group 1 Buildings: IRA McDonald Construction Ltd. – City View Park Pavilion
- Group 2 Buildings: BDA Inc – Université de L’Ontario Français Campus Project
- Group 3 Buildings: G.S. Wark Limited – Endress & Hauser Headquarters and Customer Training Centre
- Group 4 Buildings: PCL Constructors Canada Inc – Royal Canadian Dragoons Facilities
- Group 5 Buildings: Bird Construction Inc – Dundas & Auckland – Station Place
- Group 6 Buildings: PCL Constructors Canada Inc. – Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital
- Group 1 Industrial: Collaborative Structures Limited – MLF Cogen Hot Water Expansion
- Group 2 Industrial: Maple Reinders Group – FIO Automotive Expansion
- Group 3 Industrial: AEC Developments – Corbec Inc. Steel Galvanizing Plant
- Group 4 Industrial: Matheson Constructors Limited – Sobey’s Voila Customer Fulfillment Centre
The 2022 Ontario Builder Awards were presented at the OGCA Construction Symposium on April 8, 2022.